13 April 2007

The more you read...


The past two days have been very busy, desperately catching up and preparing a presentation – too late, always too late. So I didn’t keep up with my Google reader, I worked and wrote and today, at last, I read as well. Serendipity again? Blankpaige has introduced a law of blogging, the incredibly complicated calculations of which I will not attempt to describe, but it can be summed up as: the more you read (blogs), the less you blog. This did of course strike a chord , expert procrastinator that I am, always looking for scientific reasons to my lack of blogging/writing chapters/ironing. And in today’s Guardian – although the author has probably not yet read Paige’s law, this sentence:

It could be that the vast majority of people prefer just to read blogs rather than write them…

In an article which describes blogging as “a minority sport”, and compares the slow rise in blogs to the meteoric rise in social network participation. This is indeed what I find in the realm of young people’s blogs – a significant number of blogs are slowly abandoned, and online interaction moves to Bebo. The true bloggers, who stay the distance? They write, and writing is not easy.



No comments: