14 May 2007

Male/female writing

Courtesy of Jess, a nice little procrastinating tool will calculate your degree of maleness or femaleness in blogging terms. Jess, it seems, is male (in blogging terms only); I turned out male as well, but persevered, and it turns out that sometimes I'm male...

and sometimes female...



I remember trying the same tool on non-fiction writing; essays and chapter excerpts were male, and my diary was female. Do we always conform to male norms when we write professionally, and only unleash our female side when writing fiction or diaries? Or is the algorithm flawed, as an article in the Guardian at first suggested?

2 comments:

Jess said...

your two posts are written in a very different style - is that on purpose or just the natural flow for that post?

Cathy said...

I don't think it is on purpose - it probably reflects some ambivalence as to the type of blog I'm writing. The academic side of me wants to write an academic style blog, but my research is very much on personal diary-style blogs, and I end up writing a lot of personal entries. I had thought of two different blogs, but it doesn't work out; as it is, I have already abandonned my French blog!