28 May 2009

Young people and technology

Interesting post on a Channel 4 blog, on a report that they have commissioned to study young people and technology; interestingly as well, they have extended the traditional "adolescent" age to include young adults up to 24 years old, which seems to be a growing trend, both in commercial and academic research. The results are not surprising to anyone who has been watching young people's practices with technology, but it is nice to have some figures as well. Most young people own on average 8 devices, televisions, DVD players, MP3, phones, laptops, digital cameras. They see technology as a means to communicate above anything else, to the point of sometimes texting a friend who is physically beside them at the time (more polite than whispering in their ear some comment about what is happening, I'd say). The first thing they do when they get home is to turn on their PC or laptop, as they feel that they don't spend enough time with their friends. As for media, they want to be able to talk about it (and do, with MSN and/or mobile phones on when they watch television), and they want to be able to interact and, more importantly I think, they want to be able to play with the content.

1 comment:

Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

The element of play is central to Internet usage, I think.

I enjoy the computer world much more than I thought I would when I first started blogging.

Younger people are so much more relaxed with new technologies and I often have conversations with my peers about the alarming degree of open discussion that can be found on the Net. The whole question of privacy is much discussed.

Thank you for commenting on my blog.