26 February 2010

spam jam

A look into my spam box has revealed a higher than usual number of messages; this had happened before, and the trickle of emails had become a flood, in a long-deleted email account. This time, most are extremely boring emails, alerting me to PHARMACY DISCOUNT! or kindly informing me that I have received a present. Some of them are intriguing, and the juxtaposition of improbable names and badly worded first sentences makes for something nearly poetic, like Alease Aenerud -  be in vanguard of loving mastery.
I am not the only one to find some strange charm to those:  Lizzie Hunter doesn't just delete the messages; she reclaims them, and makes art with spam one-liners. I like it...















2 comments:

Lorna said...

Just found your blog via Lily and am really excited about this book club. Just saw that you are doing your PhD on blogging - oh, what heaven and what a fantastic reason to read lots of blogs, you really have my dream academic job. I always wanted to do a PhD but could never think of an interesting enough topic to keep me interested for 3 to 5 years! Nice to meet you :-)

Cathy said...

Hi Lorna, I am looking forward to the book club as well - although I won't have as much time as I'd like to dedicate to it for the next 2/3 months, but it should be good fun!