18 February 2011

Blogging, way too personal


website page counterIt's been a long time. Early in December, I submitted my thesis. The words still ring very strangely, even though I repeat them every day. I submitted my thesis. And I stopped writing. No emails, no Christmas cards, no blog posts, no journal entries, none of my beloved lists of things to do, things I might do some day, things that would be nice to do even though I know I never will. No lists. No words.   I have not really started writing again, although my fingers still know how to type, they go straight to the right keys if I let them.

Right now, I am in limbo, thesis submitted but viva still to come, wishing for new things but hoping for a proper ending to old ones.

And then there's this blog, which has been as sporadic as they come, and which I would like to resurrect now. I have been thinking about blogging quite a lot since I submitted my thesis, and I have been thinking about my own blogging. Stephanie wrote a very thoughtful  post a while back, which echoes many of my thoughts and feelings. I too need the personal in my blogging, and yet this was to be a research blog, or a blog about blogging and blogging research; the personal seeps in, but when it does, the blog stalls. I may find a happy medium between the personal blogs which I read and love, and the research blogs which inspire me. I may start writing again soon, words may find their way back to me. In the mean time, I know I love Stephanie's tag for some of her posts: "Way too personal".  I think I will adopt it, and use it often.

5 comments:

lily said...

Cathy, great to see you. I understand your dilemma ... looking forward to seeing you back blogging regularly, way too personal or not

SusanC said...

It's nice to see you back Cathy. I can identify with the sporadic blogging, but I suppose that's the way it goes when you're studying and trying to fit everything else in too. :)

Cathy said...

Thanks, Lily and Susan. Hopefully this will be the year of the blog!

Elizabeth said...

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog and contributing to my donation to the Red Cross for Japan. I so appreciate it!

Tales from the Birch Wood. said...

Here's wishing you every success with the Viva, which is quite a demanding event, or so friends tell me.

The question of how personal one should be in a blog is always of interest and seems to be culturally defined. I'm always amazed at how much information some American bloggers are prepared to share online. It is worth noting, that they are the ones who seem to get the most comments.


I tend to write out of personal experience in a general way and try to link to to some wider issue that has grabbed my attention.

Perhaps you might consider sharing some of the insights you have found in relation to blogging when you have more time?